The hospital was originally founded in 1917 as the Gadsden General Hospital by the Sisters of Divine Providence. In 1925, it was acquired by the Missionary Servants of the Most Blessed Trinity and was renamed the Holy Name of Jesus Hospital. In 1931, they constructed a new hospital to meet the need for a larger facility, bringing the hospital to the current location. In 1991 the hospital was sold, and the name changed to Riverview Regional Medical Center. In 2015, Riverview Regional Medical Center was acquired by Prime Healthcare Services, a nationally renowned healthcare system devoted to providing excellent care in community hospitals. Learn more about Prime Healthcare here.